Showcase your work!
Seeking RIT student teams to showcase their amazing work at a national event, right
here in Rochester! We are proud to participate in the Video Game Mania at the National Museum of Play® on November 5 & 6, 2011, which will celebrate the first anniversary of the eGameRevolution exhibit.
Video Game Mania runs
- Saturday, November 5, from 11AM to 4PM
- Sunday, November 6, from 12PM to 4PM
Why you should be there:
This event presents an excellent opportunity for student teams to network with The Strong, develop their presentation skills, and learn how people of all ages react to your games. What better way to reinforce your design and development skills than to see kids sit down and let you know how much fun they have playing your games!
Moreover, this event gives you a chance to network with event attendees, including our own faculty who will also participate. In fact, Dave Schwartz will be giving a talk on breaking into the game industry the first night (Sat Nov 5), 5:30 and again at 6:30PM as part of the event.
As an added bonus, participants will have free admission and time to explore the museum (and take turns during the showcase). Because museum hours run Saturday 10AM-8PM and Sunday 12PM-5PM, participants have time outside of the showcase, as well.
How to get involved:
Because of the external nature of the event, we have guidelines:
- You must sign up in advance! Deadline: Fri, Oct 28, 5PM. Everyone (faculty, staff,
and students) who wants to (and has already been signed up) to participate in the show MUST fill out the clipboard survey at Clipboard Signup.
- Sign up early! Due to space limitations, we anticipate showcasing about 10 projects.
- Be family friendly! All work MUST be appropriate to be seen by all ages, though we anticipate that different kinds of projects will be enjoyed by different age ranges.
- Bring your own computers. Unfortunately, neither the museum or IGM have the resources to set up the equivalent of the GDD lab. But, this way you don't have to worry about logging in and losing files :-) The room will have power cables and Internet access, though everyone needs to ensure that they have loaded up their machines in advance.
- Be on time and present! Because we will need to plug everything in, ensure Internet access works (yes, we should have Internet), games run, tables and chairs are set, and all kinds of organizational issue, participants will agree to arrive at 9:30AM on Sat and 11:30AM on Sun.
- Preferably commit to both days. Ideally, you, your team, and your project will be
available both days. However, we will let groups do either Sat or Sun to allow for more
projects and flexibility.
The museum will provide snacks and free parking, though they ask that showcase participants carpool if possible. As mentioned above, we can't provide computers. There is storage space for non-essential equipment and bags. We will provide the complete set of details once we've selected the groups.